Dial 811 at least 48 hours prior to all excavation.
Iowa law requires that any person, homeowner, professional, public or private entity planning to engage in any form of excavation within the state of Iowa must notify the Iowa One Call notification system at least 48 hours prior to excavating.
When homeowners call 811, Iowa residents are connected to Iowa One Call. Iowa One Call will then notify the owners/operators of buried facilities who participate in Iowa One Call so that the underground facilities can be marked. It is the responsibility of the excavator to contact any facility owners who are not listed with Iowa One Call. Iowa One Call is a free call and a free service. The required 48 hours does not include Saturdays or Sundays or legal holidays.
Be prepared to give the following information:
- Name of the county, township, range and section
- Name and address of excavator
- Excavator's telephone number
- Type and extend of the proposed excavation
- Whether the discharge of explosives is anticipated
- Date and time when excavation is scheduled to begin
- Approximate location of excavation on the property
- If known, the quarter section, E911 address and global positioning system coordinate, name of the property owner, name of housing development with street address or block and lot numbers, or both
- Each locate request is assigned an eight-digit serial number by the computer. This number contains all the information about your call. It is important to record this number and keep it with your records